Rabbi David Levine shares some thoughts on how to use Passover to give and strengthen identity.
Use Passover to give identity to our children
- Tell them why Passover is important to us personally
- Why we keep Passover each year
- Why we don’t eat regular bread
- Why we do eat matzoh
- Why the exodus from Egypt is important to commemorate
- About Messiah Yeshua and Passover
- Why did he die during Passover
- Why was he raised from the dead during Passover
- How our faith in Messiah strengthens our Jewish identity
When Julien Green was 7 years old, his grandfather taught him Ma Nishtanah. It stayed with him all these years, even when we went away from his Jewish identity and practice. Now that he is a Jewish believer in Yeshua, he recognizes that it is a gift that his grandfather gave him.
- God brought the children of Israel out of Egypt with an outstretched arm.
- God redeemed us from slavery.
- He rescued us, when we could not protect ourselves.
When we keep the Passover, we are joining ourselves to the Jewish people – to Jewish history, to Jewish experience, to Jewish community.
When we keep the Passover with Yeshua, we are joining ourselves to the Jewish people and to the Jewish Messiah.
We bring together Jewishness and trust in Yeshua – and we show how the two work together.